• Back
    • 01 / 28 / 23
    • 372


GC Zurich concede a last-minute equaliser against FC Lugano, resulting in a 1-1 draw. Hayao Kawabe scored the goal for the Grasshoppers in the 42nd minute.

First Half

Giorgio Contini lined up his team in a new 4-3-3 formation compared to the YB game, with Filipe de Carvalho celebrating his first Super League start. GC started the match more actively, but did not create any decisive actions in the opponent's box in the first minutes. It went on like that for a long time before Ndenge came to shoot from a good position after a GC corner kick. His shot was however blocked by the Lugano defence. Until the break, the spectators in the Stadio di Cornaredo were treated to an even match with slight advantages for the Zurich side. Despite good approaches in midfield, the decisive pass was mostly missing or failed. Just before the break, however, the Hoppers had another free kick opportunity. Noah Loosli recieved the ball, kept his cool in the penalty area and laid the ball off to Hayao Kawabe. The Japanese did not miss this chance and scored the 1:0 for his team. This was the score at the break.

Second Half

The first top chance of the second half was again for GC: After Hara crossed from the right, Filipe de Carvalho was able to make an attempt on goal from a good position, but his shot was a little too inaccurate and did not really threaten the Lugano keeper. Only a few minutes later, it became dangerous in front of André Moreira's goal. Following a cross, Steffen was able to shoot, but missed the chance. The pressure of the home team increased a little, but the Luganesi did not have any compelling chances. Only in the 71st minute Teruki Hara was able to block Aliseda's shot in the last moment. One minute later, it was again the Zurich side who came up dangerously in front of Osigwe: After a beautiful combination, Renat Dadashov had a chance on goal. However, the striker did not hit the ball perfectly and the ball rolled just past the goal. The game remained quiet until the 88th minute, when FC Lugano equalised: Alisedo suddenly appeared alone in front of Moreira in the penalty area and scored for the 1-1 equalizer. In the 94th minute, GC had their last chance to win the game: After a cross from Pusic, Kawabe shot from the penalty area, but his attempt was too inaccurate and was easily saved by Osigwe. This was also the final action of the game and the teams split the points at the Stadio di Cornaredo.

Now a busy week awaits the Hoppers: Next Wednesday, they welcome FCB to Zurich for the Cup Round of 16. Kick-off at the Letzigrund stadium is at 8.15 pm.

We came to Lugano to get the three points which would have been very good for the teams morale. But at the end of the day, if we look at both halves, it's a deserved point, even if I am convinced that more would have been possible.