• Back
    • 02 / 01 / 23
    • 356


In a goal-rich cup match, the Zurich team is eliminated by FC Basel in the 1/8 final. Dadashov and Seko (2x) scored the goals for the Grasshoppers.

First Half

The first exclamation mark in the match between GC and FCB in the Cup 1/8 final came from the Zurich side. Dadashov launched De Carvalho in the third minute, but the Basel defence combined forces to neutralise the situation. So it took a few minutes until the first real chance. Zeqiri took a shot from an acute angle in the 19th minute, but Hammel had no problems in the Hoppers' goal. Only three minutes later, Amdouni had another good chance with a direct free kick, which Hammel deflected over the crossbar. The Basel team was slightly superior in the opening phase, GC rarely made an offensive appearance. In the 26th minute, Shabani had a try, but his shot in the penalty area went clearly over Salvi's goal. Then in the 30th minute the first goal: following an FCB corner kick, Kade was left alone on the second post and finished for the lead. But the Zurich team reacted immediately and only one minute later scored the prompt equaliser after a corner kick. In the end, it was Seko who headed the ball into the net on the second post. After that, not much happened and everything was set for the break, when the Basel team was given a penalty: Shabani fouled Kade in the penalty area. FCB captain Frei took the responsibility and scored safely to make it 1:2. This was the closing point of the first half.

Second Half

The second half began bitterly for the Hoppers. After a cross to the second post, Amdouni headed in for FCB to make it 1:3. GC immediately tried to react. In the 52nd minute, Schmid crossed into the penalty area for Dadashov, who could only be stopped with a foul. Consequently, a penalty was awarded to the Zurich team. The fouled player took the penalty himself and scored to make it 2:3. But GC's comeback attempt came to nothing for the time being, because eleven minutes later, FCB was able to play the next attack. Bolla cleared a cross, but the ball landed in Adams' feet. The latter took the ball, did not waste much time, tried his luck from outside the penalty area and scored with a powerful shot to make it 2:4. For the second time, the Hoppers were forced to show a reaction. And just nine minutes later, there it was. Another corner kick, once again Seko - 3:4! GC now on the upswing, tried everything once more to go for extra time. In the 84th minute, the next GC attack: De Carvalho with a wonderful feint in the left penalty area. His cross found Herc on the edge of the penalty area, but his half-volley flew well over the goal. And the Zurich team remained on the offensive: only two minutes later, Pusic crossed for De Carvalho. The latter was free to head at the second post, but put the ball into the outer net - bitter, that would have been the equaliser. Already in injury time, the Basel team launched a counter-attack, which Amdouni finished to make it 3:5. This was also the final point of the match and the Hoppers thus drop out of the Swiss Cup.

This Saturday, the championship season continues. GC Zürich will again be hosting FC Basel at the Letzigrund stadium, kick-off is at 6 pm.

I saw four individual mistakes in the five goals conceded, which were very efficient. Otherwise, Basel didn't have any particularly dangerous chances. We showed a decent match and were on the same level as FC Basel. We had one problem, and that was that we were always trailing, which was also very exhausting in the end. I can't blame the team for not wanting the win today. At the end of the day, there were simply too many individual mistakes today, which is of course very annoying. You have one chance to advance in the Cup and that chance is now over. So now the whole focus is on the championship.

Contini after the game