The club's greatest successes
Founded in 1886 by an English student Tom E. Griffith, Grasshopper Club Zürich progressed very quickly to become one of the most prominent major multisports clubs in Switzerland. Its football team has proved particularly successful, winning a record 27 Swiss championship titles, 19 cup wins and eight doubles, and proudly leads the all-time rankings for the top division in Swiss football. GC footballers have only spent two seasons playing in the country's second tier (1949/50 and 1950/51).
Although Grasshopper Club Zürich has also performed well in international competitions, it is still yet to win its first international title. It has attracted attention and recognition for twice qualifying for the UEFA Champions League (in the 1995/96 and 1996/97 seasons) and for achieving notable wins over famous teams such as Glasgow Rangers, Auxerre and Ajax Amsterdam. These successes have earned the club sporting distinction and prestige far beyond Switzerland's national borders.
- Qualification for the UEFA Champions League (1995/96, 1996/97)
- European Cup quarter-final (1979)
- European Cup last sixteen (1984)
- UEFA Cup semi-final (1978)
- UEFA Cup quarter-final (1981)
- UEFA Cup last sixteen (1980, 1998)
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup quarter-final (1990)
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup last sixteen (1992, 1995)